In 1952 it was decided that more encouragement should be given to crafts and hobbies and a workshop was built at the east of the Back next to the rifle range. In 1954 Tom arrived to take charge of this new concept and stayed for more than a generation introducing Technical Drawing to Framlingham.
He took a full part in school life and in his early years played cricket for the staff team. In 1958 he and his wife took a party of boys on a trip to Italy where they enjoyed travel by open motor boat and the Circumvesuvian Railway.
For thirty years his approach to Carpentry and Woodwork had turned Craft into the pursuit of excellence.