Martin Lamb reports: On a very hot afternoon at a very dry Purdis Heath (Ipswich Golf Club) a match, not particularly well supported by OF golfers, was played against Old Ipswichian golfers, the match largely organised by OI Steve Runnacles. Indeed many thanks to Steve and to the staff of Ipswich Golf Club who looked after us so very well – the meal after golf was excellent!
We ended with just 9 players against 11 OI’s. However it was a delight to have Kate Chapman – Lady Vice-Captain this year at Thorpeness GC – playing with the OF’s – her first outing with us, and the first of many we all hope! It was great, too, to have George Jackson playing and singularly representing our many young, talented OF golfers who, regrettably, were unable to play . . .
1. Kate Chapman and Hugh Curle – Won (a resounding victory!!)
2. George Jackson and Mike Schneidau – Lost
3. Kevin Hambling and Chris Milner-Moore – Lost
4. Neil Jackson and Peter Howard-Dobson – Won (well done the President and thank you Neil – Hon OF and PGA)
5. Martin Lamb – Lost (playing two OI’s – one of whom, the aforementioned Steve Runnacles, played ‘out of his socks’!!)
The match was thoroughly enjoyed by all who played – my grateful thanks to you all. We lost the match 3 – 2, although our ‘hosts’ (8 of their 11 are Ipswich GC members) suggested an honourable draw in view of the imbalance in the last match. I declined on the grounds that if the match is better supported and is played again next year, the OF’s will undoubtedly ‘turn the tables’ . . . ?!