Charlotte Gower (P08-13) writes "On Sunday 9th April I will be running the Paris Marathon to raise money for Anthony Nolan, a charity which saves the lives of people with blood cancer. I first took interest in Anthony Nolan when I was at school as a family friend, a similar age to myself, was given a life-saving stem cell transplant through the charity. When I started University in Edinburgh, I helped to set up the student-run society called ‘Edinburgh Marrow’- which would join a network of over fifty student groups across the UK closely affiliated to Anthony Nolan. Edinburgh Marrow has three aims; to raise awareness of Anthony Nolan and blood cancer within universiities around the UK, to give every student the opportunity to join the stem cell register and to raise funds to help support Anthony Nolan’s vital work. This is essential given that every 20 minutes, someone in the UK is told they have a blood cancer such as leukaemia. For many, a bone marrow or blood stem cell transplant is their only chance. They need cells from a healthy person – with the same tissue type – to replace and repair their own damaged cells.
About 30% of people in need can find a suitable donor in their family. But the other 70% rely on a stranger to save their lives. Anthony Nolan helps that 70% find those precious matches. I am hoping to raise as much money as possible for this incredible charity that has a clear impact on the lives of people with blood cancers and disorders. Any donations to Anthony Nolan would be greatly appreciated in light of me running the Marathon.
The link to my page is https://www.justgiving.com/fundraising/Charlotte-Gower6"
Join the conversation
Log in to add your comment