His sons Charles and Henry write:
Along with his cousin, John Simpson, Guy was at the heart of five generations of Simpsons to have attended Framlingham. These included his grandfather, George Henry Simpson, who enrolled at the opening term in 1865 (photograph attached), his father, uncles, his brother Clive who enrolled at the opening term of Brandeston in 1949, two sons and five grandchildren, four of whom are currently at Brandeston. In all 25 direct descendants of George Henry have attended the college.
Guy was born into a family that had farmed at Stonham Aspal since at least 1675 and, whilst the farms were given up shortly after his birth, his later career as a maltster was to return him to his agricultural roots in Suffolk.
He enrolled at Framlingham College in 1939 and soon found himself evacuated to Repton where his duties included photography (see “Their swords are in your keeping”). On leaving Framlingham he briefly joined Eastern Counties Farmers before enlisting in The Rifle Brigade in 1943, prior to being commissioned into the 1st Battalion The Suffolk Regiment.
He joined the Battalion in late 1944 in North West Europe and was soon in the thick of the fighting. A notable engagement was the five day battle for a Dutch baron’s castle near Geijsteren in the Maas bend. 60 years later Guy was somewhat surprised to recognise a photograph of himself with his platoon the morning after the battle in “The Old Dozen” (Photographs of the Suffolk Regiment). Guy was mentioned in a number of press articles and his parents back in Suffolk would scour the newspapers for news of his exploits.
At the end of the fighting in Europe, Guy returned briefly to England. The attached photograph entitled “Return to Fram 1945” shows Guy second left with Tony and David Brook, Peter Thomas and Will Elmslie outside the College.
After this brief respite, Guy was promoted to Captain and rejoined the Battalion in Palestine where he commanded a Company during the Jewish insurgency.
Rejoining Eastern Counties Farmers in 1947, Guy learned the grain trade prior to joining maltsters Munton and Fison, at Stowmarket in 1955 where he spent 30 years, retiring as Deputy Chief Executive and Commercial Director in 1985. During his career the company estimated Guy oversaw the purchase of over 2 million tons of malting barley. He was Chairman of the National Malting Barley Competition committee and of the Cereals Committee of the Maltsters’ Association of Great Britain. He was a member of the Home Grown Cereals Authority and a past chairman of the Eastern section of the Allied Brewers Traders’ Association. At his peak, it is said that no one knew more about malting barley than Guy.
During his retirement, Guy and his wife Mary, spent 20 very happy years at their home, Sheepfold, on the outskirts of Earl Soham where they oversaw the expansion of their close family. Guy had many hobbies including tending rare breeds of bantams and sheep, fly fishing and collecting paintings by East Anglian artists.
During his last eighteen months Guy and Mary celebrated their Golden Wedding, Guy his 80th birthday and just ten weeks before his passing, there was a large family party for his grandfather, George Henry Simpson’s 150th birthday.
Guy is survived by his wife, Mary, their four children and thirteen grandchildren.