Who's Online ?

Find out about the SOF LinkedIn Group

College & OF History: 1975-2000
Into the Third Millennium
Framlingham College...
By John Maulden

Facebook

The following comments are owned by whomever posted them. This site is not responsible for what they say.
Norman Francis Borrett - 1st October 1917 to 10th December 2004
Authored by: Anonymous on Sunday, December 12 2004 @ 06:49 AM GMT

I am sure we all have memories of Norman Borrett on the squash court, hocket field or cricket ground (very fast ball fielding opractice!) but I remember him best for \"Willie\" the cricket bat which was used to mete out punishment to transgressors in class ... who then signed \"Willie\" for posterity!! Where is \"Willie\"??

Norman Francis Borrett - 1st October 1917 to 10th December 2004
Authored by: Rory Brown on Sunday, December 12 2004 @ 01:36 PM GMT

I also have fond memories of Norman Borrett,as John Birt say\'s he got alot of practice with \"Willie\" am sure it was to sharpen up reflexes for the hockey and cricket teams.It was very appropriate shat Norman\'s wife Mullie was honored by the SOF for her great contribution to the college.Sunday afternoons was always a treat to be invited to have tea with Both Norman and Mullie.
He will be sadly missed and my am sure that all Pupils past and present send thier love to Mullie.

Norman Francis Borrett - 1st October 1917 to 10th December 2004
Authored by: Michael Thomson on Monday, December 13 2004 @ 04:23 PM GMT

I don\'t remember \'Willie\' but I do know that I have never spelt lettuce wrong since the day I was tanned by Norman Borrett for spelling the word lettice. He was an amazing man and teacher - may he rest in peace.

Norman Francis Borrett - 1st October 1917 to 10th December 2004
Authored by: Anonymous on Tuesday, December 14 2004 @ 03:35 AM GMT

Following on from my last comment .. I was exchanging e-mails with Nick Allan (R 59-64)about our memories of NFB and he pointed out that apart from the sports and classroom memories it was the wonderful Aston Martin he drove that impressed us hugely. I remember getting a huge thrill from the Aston\'s exhaust pipe burbling noise as we passed through narrow Oxford streets when we were attending the 1963 Oxford Hockey Festival where we beat all comers save Kingston Grammar School!!

Norman Francis Borrett - 1st October 1917 to 10th December 2004
Authored by: David Turnbull on Friday, December 17 2004 @ 07:39 PM GMT

I was very saddened to hear the news of Norman Borrett\'s death. I had last met him at Varsity Hockey match at Milton Keynes a few years ago when he was the guest of honour. The College had played a curtain raiser against Stowe. His mind was as alert as ever, although he was sadly rather immobile.
My recollection of Norman Borrett\'s car at the Oxford University PS Hockey Festival was that it was a green Ford Consul - mind you that was in 1958 so he obviously went up market by the time John Birt went there! Unfortunately we did not do so well as his team,losing each of the three matches 1-3; I should remember as I was the goalkeeper! We did have a great time however(too good?)and Norman really entered into the spirit of the occasion.
He will be greatly missed.

Norman Francis Borrett - 1st October 1917 to 10th December 2004
Authored by: James Mehta on Sunday, December 19 2004 @ 05:47 PM GMT

Very sad to hear of the demise of NFB: the end of an era, and with it a little more of our youth. Surprised not to see an obituary in any of the papers, or have I missed it?

Norman Francis Borrett - 1st October 1917 to 10th December 2004
Authored by: Peter Howard-Dobson on Monday, December 20 2004 @ 01:47 PM GMT

Richard Sayer was asked to write and Obituary by The Times - it was supposed to go in on Friday but didn\'t for some reason. Hope to see it soon.
Peter

---
<b>Peter Howard-Dobson</b>
Peter@HDhq.co.uk

Norman Francis Borrett - 1st October 1917 to 10th December 2004
Authored by: Tim Duncan on Wednesday, June 22 2005 @ 09:45 AM GMT

Two of my most vivid memories of Norman Borrett are: Firstly Norman giving \"Dougal\" Ellis an impromptu free haircut in class....he\'d been warned previously to get it cut.
Secondly, just before Norman was about to administer \"Willie\" to me in front of class, he looked towards the big sash window and instructed that the window be opened \"to give me a decent flightpath!\".
A truly unique and inspiring person!